Friday, December 27, 2019

Fun in Amish Country

Today was a fun day. It was Dakota and Erica's last day here in Ohio. We decided to make our Amish Country rounds so Erica could experience it for the first time. This would be Sterling's second time there. We started off at the Miller's Bakery (not pictured) for their famous tarts. I always enjoy the plain tarts and the red raspberry tarts. I haven't decided if I'm going to share yet ;)

After our tart needs were met, we made our way over to the Antique Mall. They always have a ton of cool stuff to look at. Erica and Dakota found some burlap they can use for their wedding. Sterling found a vintage camera that still works. He was pretty excited about that. He is actually watching videos on how to use it as we speak. 

We didn't get to look at Kaufman's Kountry Accents this time around. We were on a slight time crunch since Dakota and Erica had to head back home this afternoon. But this store looked like it has some cute lawn ornaments and such. I saw this concrete elephant that I just had to have. Maybe next time I can talk my honey into letting me get it. 

I have always admired the Amish horse and buggies. They probably think I was weird for taking pictures of them. Maybe they are used to it by now? 

We were driving in the car when I tried to get this picture. I was so close! But I still think it turned out okay. Just a head short haha. 



If we weren't so stuffed, maybe we would have stopped at this bakery too. But we usually have a routine of places we know we want to stop and look. Someday we will break the mold and try some of these other stores too. I'm sure there is a whole other world we have yet to see! 

Another Amish man out and about with his beautiful horse. I think it would be fun to take a horse and buggy out for a day. Just for a day though. I enjoy my warm and toasty vehicles. 

One of my favorite places to stop is the cheese factory called Heini's. They have a bunch of samples that you can take. There are a ton of different cheeses, beef jerky, beef sticks, dips, fudge and more. My favorites are straight swiss cheese, butter cheese and smoked cheddar cheese. Now for the dips I always go for the bacon and scallion dip and the garlic and herb dip. Sterling got a few others he wanted and I also got a new flavor. I think it was sun dried tomato dip. I'm excited to dig into them. I believe they are a cream cheese based dip. 

I think this was my best photo of the day. Once again the horse is so pretty! But then again, check out the sky. It was so blue in this picture. I thought it was neat. The weather was really nice today. If I had to guess, it was probably around 50F. 

Sterling begged me to get a picture of these corn shocks. He says he doesn't know why, but he always thought they were neat. Being from Caswell County North Carolina, there aren't too many Amish or Mennonite communities around. So Amish Country is always a treat for him.  


The last stop of the day was Lehman's. I think we all enjoy walking around this maze of a store. It doesn't look very big from the outside, but it is massive on the inside. You name it, they have it. One of the reasons we went was because Sterling got a tree tapping kit for maple syrup. He wanted to see if there were any other things he could get to help him get started. I think he is going to have a field day with his dad trying that for the first time. 

1 comment:

  1. It was a fun day fidgy. We loved having you guys home for the holidays and to add to the family. Do you think you can talk Erica into blogging too? I know you have convinced me to dust of the old camera and get back at it with my own. Way to be a trend setter.

    ReplyDelete